Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Leigh can f-ing Read

Leigh smashed her face two nights ago, loosening up a tooth and making her look like a plastic surgery patient after a lip plumping injection gone bad. Susannah took her to the dentist yesterday and Leigh started reading some books she had never seen before. We had assumed she was just repeating memorized books to herself when she snuck into Danny's room to read books by herself.

Here she is, reading Danny's word ring. His kindergarten teacher tells us these are first grade words that he is working on "sight recognition" of. Leigh has them down, without ever practicing a word ring before. She is wearing my safety glasses just because she can.


Needless to say, this development made us quite happy.

6 comments:

Nick C. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nick C. said...

How amazing is that! Happy early Birthday, Leigh. You rock the reading world. I have an extra incentive to finish my book, now.

Lindy said...

As the Temptations sang: "My girl, talkin' bout my girl!"

Pete, make sure to send an advance copy of your next novel to Leigh for comments.

Anonymous said...

This is a really great development! She might be the next Ella, middle child with the mostest.

SHV said...

Funny, I never knew that Ella taught herself to read before her 4th birthday.

Ella said...

Oh SHV, there might be a few things about me you don't know. But it's true that MAV taught me how to read before I had a chance to teach myself.

Ida has written a book for Leigh which will be a "late birthday present." It will really challenge her deciphering ability. Ida also says she does not want to watch the video of Leigh reading until she can read herself. But I enjoyed it.